2016 San Diego Photo Club Contest
The 2016 San Diego Photo Club Contest runs from Thursday, October 20th to Tuesday, November 29th at 11:59 PM. See below for categories, rules, and the submission process. Good luck!
- Travel Photography (See contest submissions here)
- Images taken far or abroad, portraying people, cultures, and artistry beyond traditional California scenes. Please note that images can be from other parts of the United States or in other countries. Evaluate your images before posting to see if they might belong in the Street Photography category.
- Street Photography (See contest submissions here)
- Follow the classic street photography descriptions from Wikipedia.
- Landscapes (See contest submissions here)
- Images with oceans, lakes, rivers, etc., should be entered in the Waterscapes category.
- Waterscapes (See contest submissions here)
- All landscapes featuring oceans, lakes, rivers, etc.
- Black and White (See contest submissions here)
- All black and white, monochrome, and converted infrared images can be included in this category.
- Architecture (See contest submissions here)
- Images should include buildings or structures. It is recommended all images be perspective corrected if possible.
- Action Photography (See contest submissions here)
- Includes sports, adventure, fast action images.
- Wildlife (Captive) (See contest submissions here)
- Enter your great San Diego Zoo, Safari Park, and other images in this category.
- Wildlife (Non-Captive) (See contest submissions here)
- No images will be taken in a captive scene. Be prepared to provide verification if requested.
- Night Photography (See contest submissions here)
- Includes both Night Sky and Astrophotography
- Avian Photography (See contest submissions here)
- Includes any birds, either in flight or at rest.
- Macro Photography (See contest submissions here)
- Can include 1:1, magnified, and cropped/close-up images.
- Portraiture (See contest submissions here)
- This category is for studio and lighted scenes of people. Other types of portraiture should be considered for the Travel or Street Photography categories as appropriate.
- Iconic San Diego (See contest submissions here)
- Make your best photo of any San Diego icon or iconic image and enter in this category.
- The Fire Hydrant (See contest submissions here)
- This “fun” category is a photo challenge. Make your best image where a fire hydrant is the primary subject!
- The Print
- Bring your printed image to the 2016 Holiday Party for judging in person. It is recommended you provide your own easel.
- Only Photo Club members with current and up-to-date 2016 membership may enter the contest.
- Each member may enter a maximum of five (5) images per category. Images that are entered may not be used in future contests.
- Judging will be “blind.” Your digital images will be placed in a photo contest gallery, with all identifying information removed. Judges will be selected from industry leaders for each category. Print category contestants will be judged in person at the 2016 Holiday Party.
- Ribbons and prizes will be determined by the Club Executive Board for winners.
- Category winners will be announced at the December Photo Club Holiday Party.
- Contestants must be 2016 dues-paid members of the San Diego Photo Club. Only current members may submit. See the Club Secretary to check your membership status.
- Members are allowed to make five (5) individual image submissions per category.
- Submissions must be sent via Dropbox to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Images should be sent via dropbox once per category, or contained in separate folders as needed.
- Select “experts” will be included in an “expert” category as needed. Other submissions will be placed in a “mainstream” category.
- Please do not resize your images. Larger images show better quality and will be better judged.
- Because the contest is a blind judging, please do not use watermarks or identifying marks. Any watermarked images will be disqualified. Upon request, requests to delete images after judging is completed will be honored.