Thank you for serving as a presenter at a San Diego Photo Club Meeting. Your partnership with our club brings exciting program and areas of interest for our members.
To help you prepare for our meeting, we have prepared this page to provide you with information and tips for having an effective and interesting presentation.
How does the club prepare for my presentation?
- The Photo Club promotes our meetings through multiple channels.
- Website: we will create a post for our meeting on the Photo Club website.
- Email: we have an extensive email list that we send occasional communications. We sent a meeting announcement approximately 10 days before the meeting and a reminder email approximately 4 days before the meeting.
- Facebook: We have a Facebook group, and we create an event in that group for the meeting.
- Twitter: Our email application automatically posts the same information to Twitter.
- In order to prepare, we request you provide us with a short biography, brief description of your presentation, and 3-4 low-resolution example images used for promotion. Please provide these material no later than 3 weeks before your presentation so that we can schedule our promotional activities.
Location & Time
- We’re using San Diego’s Public Libraries for our meetings and our “homebase” is the Serra Mesa Kearny Mesa branch on 9005 Aero Drive. Our meetings are on Saturdays from 2pm to 4pm.
- As a presenter, please arrive ~1:30pm to prepare for the meeting to start at 2pm sharp. During that time, we will test your presentation, and troubleshoot any issues. You will also have the opportunity to meet with participants before the meeting starts.
How is the meeting organized?
- The meeting is called to order at 2 PM by our President. He or she will begin with a quick opening, some announcements, and then introduce you as the speaker.
- After your presentation, we usually have a Q & A. Feel free to take audience questions as appropriate. The President will end the Q & A if it goes over our planned time.
- After the Q & A, we will have an intermission. This usually lasts 10 – 15 minutes. Participants may approach you with additional comments or discussion. The President and other meeting staff will help you pack up your materials.
- After the Intermission, we will do our monthly sponsor raffle and proceed to our MemberShare. MemberShare usually lasts about 30 minutes. You can stay and enjoy the images or you can quietly head home if you wish.
How long should my presentation be?
- We recommend that you plan your presentation to last approximately 45 minutes.
- If you are not sure on the exact timing of your presentation, we would recommend you focus on approximately 50 images in your presentation.
Hardware & Software
- If you bring your own computer, you can use whatever presentation program you like.
- If you use PowerPoint or Keynote, we have pointers that work for Windows or MacOS to advance your slides. Both pointers include a laser pointer. All you will need is a free USB port on your laptop.
- If you don’t want to bring your own computer, you can bring your presentation on a USB drive – our club has a current MacBook Pro laptop (13.3″, 8GB memory) with KeyNote and LibreOffice installed to play KeyNote and PowerPoint presentations.
- Our projector resolution is 1920 x 1080. You can customize your presentation to that resolution, or your presentation will be resampled to fit. This resolution is roughly a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio.
- The projector has VGA and HDMI inputs and we have cables for it. For the newest MacBook laptops that don’t have an HDMI out, we have a USB-C to HDMI adapter.
- We have a portable speaker with a conventional wireless microphone and a hands-free clip-on microphone.
What should I expect of the audience?
- Our audience ranges from beginners to life-long experts. Our members specialize in virtually every photographic genre. Our most popular fields are landscapes, wildlife, and travel.
- Our audience is knowledgeable, but our beginner members are often nervous about asking questions. Please avoid using too much jargon and acronyms. Don’t assume the entire audience knows this information. Be generous in explaining photography terms and acronyms.
Is there an honorarium for presenting at the meeting?
- We will reimburse you for your travel expenses with a check at the meeting.
Am I allowed to sell services, prints, books, and other materials at the meeting?
- Presenters are allowed to provide any offerings at the meeting to our members. There is no consignment fee and the presenter can keep all proceeds. We do not have staff to assist you with sales, so we recommend you conduct that during the meeting intermission.
Do you accept donations?
- Yes we do. If we have giveaways we will hold a raffle after the intermission. Your donation could be an additional opportunity to promote your offerings.
I have additional questions. Who do I ask?
- Feel free to contact the President or Vice President on the Contacts Page.