It’s July and San Diego is baking in the heat of the summer’s first major heatwave – and as if that’s not enough, here’s the next monthly photo quest: Panoramas! 😀
Thanks to modern software and cameras, it’s easier than ever to capture stunning wide-format photos of grand vistas – even your phone does panoramas! Any photo is welcome of course, and here are some things to consider and/or watch out for:
Panorama Photo Tips
- Use sufficient overlap (at least 30%) so that your panorama stitching software (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.) can easily detect elements in both frames and stitch them seamlessly
- Use a tripod and carefully level it
- If you’re shooting hand-held, keep the camera as level as possible (many modern cameras have built-in levels that can be activated in the viewfinder or live view, make sure to use these little helpers)
- Careful with parallax error on immediate foreground objects – avoid anything too close to your camera/lens, unless you have a panorama head and nodal slide
- Meter the brightest part of the scenery, switch your camera to manual mode and use these exposure settings for the entire panorama sequence
- Do NOT use a polarizing filter (the sky will be very unevenly polarized)
Photo Quest Rules
- No digging in the archives!
- Make a NEW photo between now and July 31st, 2018 (deadline 11:59pm)
- This is a members-only activity
- Current photo club members will receive a Dropbox file request via email
- One photo per member only, please – take your time and send your best picture!
- Ask questions and discuss in our Facebook group
We’re looking forward to your submissions!
The Photo Section of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter began in 1984 and has grown to be among the largest photo clubs in San Diego County. Our members are artists, travelers, humanitarians, and conservationists. We support most genres of photography and welcome new members to our group.
Photo Section meetings are held once a month between January and November, with additional club activities throughout the year. For more information, please visit our club calendar page.