New month, new monthly photo quest! This month, we’re looking for…
“The Beauty of Trees.”
Your mission (should you choose to accept it)
- Head out with the camera and make a photo that shows the beauty of trees
- Between now and September 30th, 2018
- Make a new photo for the photo quest – no digging in the archives!
- Send it to us (Dropbox file request will be in your email)
- Black & White or Color, Horizontal, Square, Vertical
- Phone, DSLR, mirrorless, compact? Camera doesn’t matter.
Tips & Tricks
- Where to find beautiful trees:
- Sycamores, willows & oaks in many of San Diego’s riparian canyons (Tecolote, Los Penasquitos, etc.)
- Torrey Pines State Natural Preserve & the surrounding areas (Crest Canyon etc.)
- Oaks in the back country (Ramona, Jamul, Julian…)
- Forests with Jeffrey Pine, Coulter Pine & more in the Laguna Mountains and at Mount Palomar
- Exposure: trees provide shade, the light that shines through their branches is very bright by comparison. Preserve the highlights and underexpose. Then bring the shadows up on the computer.
- Composition & Design:
- try to organize the chaos of branches and twigs. Find lines that run through your photo, connect the corners, provide a flow
- look for the low sun & warm light in the morning & afternoon – terrific for backlight situations!
- turn the hard contrasts of mid day into a stark black & white rendition
- focus on textures and details in a close-up
- Questions: feel free to discuss the quest in our Facebook group!
Have fun, good light, and show us the beauty of trees the way you see it.
The Photo Section of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter began in 1984 and has grown to be among the largest photo clubs in San Diego County. Our members are artists, travelers, humanitarians, and conservationists. We support most genres of photography and welcome new members to our group.
Photo Section meetings are held once a month between January and November, with additional club activities throughout the year. For more information, please visit our club calendar page.